What my (first job) company's MD taught me.

3:50 PM

Last post is on last year! Lol. Finally some update today.
Having difficulty to update blog due to time constraints, tiredness after work, laptop is not working smoothly etc.... Been hearing some of colleagues that they viewed my blog. I was so shy, I do not tell anyone that I blog until they found out...I quite surprise cause nobody in the company know my English name, and I thought nobody will find out. Anyway, thanks for viewing and reading but no recent update post so sorry. Thinking to come back to make blogging as part time but "just saying" *rolling my eyes*.... Anyway, today update is what I want to record here as part of my "workinglifeofanadult" story...


A very lengthy words post, do not read if you're not interested.


I remembered that was my first day at work in this company.
I was almost late for work, 8am is too early for a lazy girl. I had a quick introduction of this company by HR with another 3 interns. It didn't counted as an orientation because we didn't informed that what's the company is doing until I found out myself during my internship. Basically working life is so boring, the routine was -> go to company facing the computer for 8 hours or more and go home -> Repeat 5 days a week. I was so upset and I lost my passion. I just doing my intern for the sake of fulfilling the core course for graduation. But I still put a lot of effort in the project which they gave me during internship.


And I always saw a Korean guys pass by our department every morning and everyone is greeting him. He remembered all the colleagues names he shaked hand with everyone when he greeted them. Everyone is afraid of him, not because of he is fierce but because of the 10 principles and a bicycle frame. I have no idea about this last time as I did not go to any training. He tend to asked them "what's no. 5 principles?" "what's the bicycle's paddle present?" very suddenly... and colleagues not always remembered and he will repeat to ask another day again and so on...


I always went down to production in order to complete the project that they assigned to me. I was running the whole company to find out the assets and tag one by one. Sometime I saw him in production a few times, he talked to the supervisor and operators. That time only I knew he's the Managing Director. And he told my boss he always saw me running here and there in production, he quite surprise to see me. Until we had a dinner together after few months of interns, which he invited all of us in Finance Department included me and another intern. That was the first time I talked to him. He wanted to know my name. I was so nervous and I greeted him in korean. He was so surprise... (but don't la we 90's babies all korean freaks lol.)


Finally, my internship came to the end and I was offered to continue working. I did not think twice, I rejected. My boss tried to convince me that they hired me until I find a job. I had nothing better to do so I accepted. I continued to find job after I came back from my graduation trip. After came back to the company after my holidays, I was told to continue my previous interns task again. I was so upset that I can't learn new things, I was doing the same things so many months. I wanted to quit this job. Was thinking to write a resignation letter, I was being told by my boss that MD would likes me to see him.

I went to see him. He said the company will have vacancy soon, he would likes me to stay. I told him I would like to get a finance related job which I can apply my learning in university in full used. He said he studied an engineer degree but now he is managing a factory. He told me he works all around the world. What you had studied doesn't meaning that you have to work about that. I refused to accept the job offered. And he smacks the table very loudly. He insisted me to stay. I freaked out. I went home and think. I think I might be too harsh..."Where got people reject one since the Managing Director already open the mouth to call you stay already?! Managing Director leh you tought who?!"... *rolling my eyes* Ok, I accepted. So, he was happy that I finally accepted.


I was moving to a new department. I did not have any passion for this new job too, but I still will work my best for this just like my intern assignment project for me. It is my personality, I will try my best to do and I will not rest until I complete it. I know it is hard to find a job that you like, so I settled down with this and I see how I progress. I was invited again to had dinner with Finance department with MD. Remembered that day is the OPC 5S day, and he came to sit behind me and talked to me in mandarin "Today we date!"...I was smiling (cause I don't now other than smile what can I replied lol). So that night we have dinner again, my last dinner with finance department, I am not in finance dept anymore. He was so interest to recommend boyfriend to me. I just smiling (cause I don't now other than smile what can I replied lol)...


The next day was the Hiking Day for all the new join workers, which MD will also join the hiking every time.  We were told to memorize the 10 principles. My stamina was not that good to hike the hill, and MD offered to help me carry my backpack. I refused. (Why I always reject one lol?!) The days continue and I am working like few months already...time passed very fast. I am stunned when I heard MD had resigned. Anyway, he had his reason and his choices.


Our department had a very last dinner with him and his son, and we had a chat with him. When he first come here, he knew nobody. And nobody knew him. He had no networking here. And now after 7 years he worked here, everybody knew him. Our plant had changed from nothing to the leading plant of the group. He said when there's SBF meeting, everyone would like to listen his opinions, what he recommend. He had reputation in the group now, and everybody changed their perception towards him. This is how your actions speaks. Now he is moving to another country which will rewind to 7 years before, to a place where he had no networking and nobody know him.


I suddenly understand something. If you are hardworking and you have ability to work out a thing, it doesn't matter where you go, how big is your networking, how many people know about you. Actions speak louder than words. You can success easily when you have more networking, when you know everybody. But he told me that you still can success even when you are in a different environment where you have zero networking and nobody even know who are you. And here comes the day he left us. It was a rainy evening.


The last dinner with you was so meaningful. I learn a lot of things from you. Some people was too afraid to change new job new environment, as their current job earn stable income. Sometime I am afraid too, afraid how if I change a new job, or I want to work in Finance again, I may not able to catch up, I don't know anyone etc.....But now, I am not afraid anymore. I am so happy I can meet such a great man in this world. We appreciate what you had done and what you had taught us. Thank you for everything, Mr. H.C..

You Might Also Like

0 comments